Tuesday, June 2, 2009
How Hard Can it be to get a Driver's License?
So for the past month we have been attempting to get our Thai driver's license. Rob had to get a work permit first before we could start the process. Then we went to the hospital to get a health check-up. After they pushed on my stomache and weighed me I guess they thought I was healthy! They handed us two envelopes to take to the municipal court. We arrived (total other side of town) and they told us the hospital forgot to put in the right paper. We returned to the hospital, received the correct paper and called it good for the day. (total time around 3 or 4 hours). Then I had to go to the embassy, pay a lot of money, and make a sworn statement that I live where I live. (total time around 2 hours). The following week we returned to the municipal court with all our documents, visas, passports and copies in hand!! We took a sight test and reaction test with about 60 people!!! It was hilarious. We were in one huge group and all passed with ease!! Apparantly Rob's license is better than mine because he is actually smiling. My lady would not take the picture if I was smiling because she said Thai people don't smile. Umm I think someone needed a hug!! All this to say after about 2 hours there we finally received our driver's license. And yeah for next year when we get to renew it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I was thinking about getting one even though I NEVER EVER plan to drive in Bangkok!
We just went after our license and with the help of our Thai staff had it done in about 4 hours total. We got out of paying for the proof of residence by saying we had to have a receipt for the money and not saying anything else. They weren't happy about it but we really did need the receipt for using company money, plus we had already been clued in to how to handle the asking for money/bribe. It is so ingrained into business it's even on their how to page but when pushed they can't make you pay. We are so glad to hear what the Father is doing North of us. Thanks for the updates. Michelle watched your driving video and says you should try driving in our city, by His grace we haven't killed anyone yet and haven't hit anyone yet, other than the mirror tap in a really tight Soi, but that's normal here. Have an awesome week.
Post a Comment